Born out of frustration with the traditional cash register business, ShopKeep was designed by a retailer with a noble aim: to rescue independent business owners from the nightmare of archaic point of sale systems, and replace it with something beautiful, simple and affordable. It turned out that by doing this, we were giving our fellow merchants a fighting chance against the big guys. So we kept doing it.
Today, our mission is simple: Empower independent business owners to dream big and fight smart. We’re doing this by disrupting the industry through our cloud-based architecture, amazing customer care and intuitive software that delivers the data small business owners need to run a smarter businesses.
At ShopKeep, we’ve been successful because of our awesome team that believes small businesses make up the heart of their communities. If you want to defend the independent spirit of “Main Street”, you’ve found your kind of people.
About This Role
ShopKeep’s customers are business owners themselves, so they need actionable intelligence as much as we do. You will be one of the first hires to our prominent, new data science team. We are building the platform to service internal as well as external data products. We’re still small, so you should be comfortable working on a variety of things.
What You Will Do
Explore. We have a mature data infrastructure, and we’d like someone to interrogate this data relentlessly. At this point, adding variables to models is as simple as updating a query; most of the dirty work is already done. Think Jupyter notebooks and meetings with internal business partners.
Work directly with Product to build data scientific solutions that empower our merchants.
Build machine learning models and productionize them yourself. Currently, we build models to: predict customer retention, offer merchants insight into how they compare with each other, improve sales and customer care operational flows, and more.
Design and implement statistical experiments around business decisions.
Build data pipelines with Amazon Web Services and Apache Spark.
Help tens of thousands of growing businesses get smarter.
What You Need
- Strong understanding of probability, simulation, and statistical inference
- Experience building predictive models
- Relative fluency with Python / Pandas / Scikit-Learn and a deep desire to improve. We value Data Scientists who can build models as well as put them into production.
- Experience writing SQL
- A git-based workflow
Bonus Points If You’re Experienced With
- NLP and word2vec
- Apache Spark
- Designing data architecture from table to dashboard
- Columnar databases (especially Redshift)
- Document databases (especially Elasticsearch)
- Data visualization / exploration tools (especially Looker)
- Side projects
- Graduate school
- Competitive salary and equity
- Opportunity to focus and work on the problems that most interest you
- Career growth
- Benefits package with subsidized health, dental, and vision plans
- NYC startup perks like catered lunch, bagels, meditation, beer on tap, and hackathons
ShopKeep is an equal opportunity employer.